Thursday, November 14, 2013

A light that is endless that can never be darkened


Dear Family and Friends,

This week was absolutely crazy. First of all, the typhoon. All of the missionaries in Tacloban are safe and accounted for. They are all staying here at the MTC until they get reassigned to a new area around here, or until they go home. The first that we heard of the missionaries coming here was just a few days ago. On Tuesday night, we were having a devotional, and our MTC president announced that they would be coming here. He also announced that most, if not all, were coming with just the clothes on their back, and the few belongings that they were able to gather. He asked all of us to gather the clothing and other things that we could do without, and to bring them to the basement to be donated to these missionaries. Of course, my kasama and I went up to our room and got everything that we could do without for the next 18 months. Luckily, I had brought waaay too many clothes. So I gave away 5 skirts and 5 shirts. Don't worry. I still have enough to last =] I'll just have a little bit less variety. But it's all good!! 

(Just found this picture on the Mormon Pinoy Newsgroup facebook site - McKelle is back by the window)

My kasama and I were the first ones down into the basement, and since we were the senior sister training leaders, we stayed to help organize everything. Let me just say, missionaries are amazing. I don't know that there was one missionary here that didn't donate something. Even if all they were bringing was one tie, or one shirt, it helped. There were so many clothes and shoes and other things down there. It was remarkable. We all thought that we had packed just enough for the little while that we'll be out here, but when a disaster strikes, we found that we had more than enough. Sister Clark and I were the main ones down there organizing clothes, so we got to see when the first missionaries started coming in from Tacloban. Wow. That is all I can say. They were the dirtiest, smelliest, yet happiest people ever. They all came in smiling and laughing. Most of them came in with nothing. A few had backpacks of the stuff that they had grabbed, but there were a few people who had brought nothing with them. 

There was one Sister that I was helping, and she quietly told me and my kasama that she had absolutely nothing. Everything that she had brought with her on the mission had been destroyed. But, she was almost crying because of the generosity of all the missionaries here. We helped her find some clothes, and she left, grateful beyond belief. How amazing is that? These missionaries were in a disaster that left hundreds, if not thousands of people dead, and here they are, ready to go to work again. One of them had us read Mosiah chapter 16, verse 9. Go read it. It's about the light of the Lord never going out or giving into darkness. 

He is the alight and the life of the world; yea, a light that is endless, that can never be darkened; yea, and also a life which is endless, that there can be no more death.
These missionaries are amazing. Let me also just say that Heavenly Father protects his children. Out of the (I think) 206 missionaries, not one was lost or even seriously injured. That is amazing to me. And from the stories that we've heard, some of them probably should not be alive right now. I won't go into any details, but things are devastating over in Tacloban. There is nothing left. I mean literally nothing. For everyone who is reading this, please pray your hardest for the people over there. Even if you have never prayed in your life, now would be a good time to start.


Actually, you guys probably know more about what happened in Tacloban than we do. I feel like we're always getting the news way late. On Wednesday morning, we watched a live devotional from Provo, and they were talking about how the missionaries had been flown out of Tacloban by an army guy's cargo plane. He took three trips to get those missionaries all out. The rest were on commercial flights. The first missionaries couldn't get on their flights, even with their tickets, because people were paying to get on the planes. Anyway, there are some crazy stories, but that one was a miracle for sure.

Not much else happend this week that was quite like that experience. We went proselyting again on Wednesday. It was fun again, yet disappointing at the same time. The sisters and two of the elders went to the biggest chapel. It's the biggest in the Philippines, if not in the world. It is at least 3 stories high. I think there might have been 4 or 5 levels. But it was huge. We went over there to meet out new companions, and what we found was incredible. There was relief work going on throughtout the entire chapel. There were thousands and thousands of bags of food, clothing, toilietries. Everything. It was crazy. That just made it so much more real for me. People in Tacloban need our help. 

Anyways, proselyting. I was with a Sister Anderson, and a Sister Tagbucog. They were awesome! One is a native, and the other is still training. We were going to teach two little boys who both have baptismal dates, but that appointment fell through. I was excited to go and teach, because I would have been leading the lesson. But it's ok. All of our other appointments fell through, so we ended up just OYMing. Open Your Mouth. Which basically means that you talk to anybody on the street. They showed me how to do it, and then it was my turn. It was so scary!! I was just trying to talk to random people on the street, in a language that I barely knew. The sister that was still training was a little nervous to do it too. So eventually, I just bucked up and did it. It really wasn't that bad... Until they started to talk back to me. But that was when my companion would come in and take over since she knew the language. So I can say that I did it! Twice! Crazy. It's like I'm a real missionary now.

What else... Oh! Someone (or everyone) please go watch Star Wars. Apparently, the eewoks speak Tagalog. No joke. Our teachers were telling us that it is true. I can't wait to come home and be able to understand that. It'll be the coolest thing ever. So if you ever want to hear what language I'm speaking, just go watch Star Wars =D

I have probably said this before, but my district is the best. This week, we had an amazing prayer circle for the people of Tacloban. We all knelt down and said an individual prayer out loud for them. It was fantastic. I'll be sad to leave them in a few days. Even if we are (most of us) going to the same mission, it'll be weird not seeing them everyday. And since I can't email them or write them letters, I won't get to talk to them for the next 17 months. (Yes, I only have 17months left! I've already been out for more than a month!!) 




Our teachers are way awesome. One of them can draw really well, so he's going to draw everybody in our district, and make us district T-shirts. How sweet is that?? It's pretty awesome.




Seriously, not much else has been going on... I've played more basketball than ever in my entire life. Crazy right? We pretty much play Bump/Lighting/Knockout every single day during gym. I've actually gotten decently good at it. I still usually get out during the first or second round because I can't make a layup to save my life, but every once in a while I get a few 3 pointers and stay in till the final 5 or so. So it's fun over here =]

Mom, you asked about Christmas. I honestly can't think of much that I need. Maybe one of those half ts that we almost got? That might be handy.

Otherwise, I leave out into the field on Wednesday! I actually have met my mission president. He was here setting a missionary apart, and my kasama and I saw him in the lobby. It was sweet! He even knew who we were! But yeah, I'm excited and nervous all at the same time. It'll be great. And my p-days in the field are on Mondays, so I won't email until then next week.

I really can't think of anything else... So I hope everyone is doing well! I love you all! Go read Mosiah 16:9.

Love,
Sister Wilwand

 Sister Wilwand sleeps here :)

Notes in Tagalog 

No comments:

Post a Comment