Monday, April 7, 2014

SIX MONTHS!

Hello!!

Yupp! I've almost been here for 6 months, how crazy is that? Time has gone by way fast! It's General Conference weekend for us here, which means I've already been here for 6 months... Crazy stuff!

Sister Wilwand and Sister Kalama


So we had some fun things happen this week. First, our area is doing well! I absolute love the less-active families that we have here. They are amazing! It's crazy that I've only been here for about a week and a half, because I already feel so close to some of these families. They are amazing!


A bit of contrast to the crowded housing in the last blog post - some of Sister Wilwand's area looks like these photos above.


Our investigators are doing ok. We've been finding some new ones lately! We had a ward FHE on Saturday, and some of the ward members brought some investigators for us to teach, so we're really excited to start teaching them this week! We actually have one little girl who is progressing, and I love it! She's only 9, but she's so smart! She loves coming to church and everything, so it's great!

On Saturday, at our ward FHE, everyone had so much fun! The missionaries in our ward were in charge of games, so it was a blast. It was me and my companion, and the two Elders that are in our ward. We did musical chairs, Mahal mo ba ako? (Do you love me?), a Kalamansi race (kind of like mini limes), and we did the doughnut game (the one where you tie them on strings and people eat with no hands). It was so fun! These were some games that nobody had ever really played before, so they were all excited to be a part of it. Even the adults participated! It was awesome! And at the end, we had prizes for all of the little kids. It was great!

Sister Wilwand and Sister Kalama with some of their favorite people :)  Sister Wilwand LOVES the children in the Philippines!!


Also on Saturday, we had a service project with our zone. We thought we were going to build a house, but we ended up just digging holes for the cement to go in, and then we went and cleaned up another yard. It was very hot, so I actually got sunburned... I think it's the first time that I've gotten sunburned here…

Sister Wilwand and her zone at a community service project - notice all the SISTER missionaries!


Sister Wilwand and Sister Kalama had to cross this "bridge" to get to the service project!



Yesterday we had a very interesting experience. We were going to a recent converts house, and while we were waiting for him, we met a guy from California who is staying below our recent convert. I started asking him questions, and it turns out that he is actually preaching over here in the Philippines too. He asked if we were LDS and of course, we told him yes. He told us that he has preached in front of a ward in California before... Yikes. After that, our recent convert came down, so we started talking to him. The guy went inside, and asked the people inside the house if they would like to come join him, then, he came outside and just started bashing on us. He told us, "I just need to warn you. Be careful when you preach the truth." And then he started talking about the Book of Mormon and how he's read it, and it's not true, and all these things about the Church. Well, we didn't end up talking to him for very long, but the whole time that he was talking, I couldn't help but think, "No. You're wrong." It was the first time that I've ever experienced anything like that, but I'm glad I did. It definitely showed me how strong my testimony is. The man was obviously very confused about the church, but I'm glad I was able to meet him. He strengthened my testimony more than he will ever know. And our recent convert asked when he could work with the missionaries right afterwards, so obviously he felt that the man was wrong as well.

I know that this church is true, and I'm grateful for that knowledge. I know that what I'm doing is the right thing, and I'm so grateful that I'm out here in the Philippines preaching the gospel. I love you all! Have a fantastic week!

Love,
Sister Wilwand

No comments:

Post a Comment