Monday, June 23, 2014

Forget yourself and go to work!

Yupp! It's that time again! Transfer week! How crazy is that?? It seems like we just barely had transfers! But here we are again! Time is going so fast out here!

So, last Wednesday, we took our companions to the transfer point and sent them off to their new areas! It was so sad! I was bummed to say goodbye to Sister Kalama, but I know she's going to do great in her next area!

And so now I have a new companion! Sister Apolinario is from Manila (so pretty close), and she has about 4 months left in her mission. She's been here for a while, and she is awesome! I absolutely love teaching with her. She really is an amazing missionary, and I'm excited for all the things that I can learn from her. You can tell that she has such an amazing love of the gospel, and all the people we are teaching.. Even if she's only met them once! I love it!

We've had quite a good week this week! We got punted several times, but we've had some good lessons, and some good success in finding new investigators! I am slowly learning from Sister Apolinario how to really love people and share the gospel with them even if we don't teach them. We can see the progression in our area already! I love it!

One cool thing that happened in our area on Wednesday... We were walking to the palengke to buy groceries, and it started raining so hard! Probably harder than it ever has before while I've been here. So anyway, we were pretty much soaked as soon as we got outside, even though we had umbrellas! Well, when we were walking home from the palengke (kind of like a farmer's market), it was still raining, and it was flooding just a little bit. Pretty much everywhere. So we got to walk through a flood! I was having a blast! That's my first flood, so I was just laughing the whole time! =D

This weekend, we had a little training for the ward missionaries and ward mission leaders. It was good! I ended up being one of the ones to give a testimony. That was a little scary. And then I ended up giving a talk on Sunday too! Yikes! It was scary, but it was way fun!

What else... Today we had a really fun activity with our zone and another zone of missionaries. We were supposed to go up to a mountain, but we ended up playing sports instead because it's somewhat dangerous in the mountains right now. We played frisbee and a little soccer, and we actually played rugby! (Yes Dad, I really did play rugby!) It was way fun! Although I was a little bit confused about what exactly was going on for a while... But then we started really getting into it, and it was way fun! It was just touch, so it wasn't too rough or anything, but we had Elders and Sisters playing. We were actually pretty good!

I think that's about all that's happened this week, so I'll just share with you one more story. On Thursday, during personal study, I was having a little bit of a rough time. Sometimes, you have thoughts that just kind of pop up, like "Wow. I have a long time left." or "Why am I really out here?"... Kind of things like that. Maybe it was just because I had just gotten a new companion, I don't really know. But then, I found a letter from a friend that had a quote in it called "The Fellowship of the Unashamed". I think it's by Gordon B. Hinckley. I forgot to bring it with me, but it's really great. So I read that. I also read in the letter that I have support from my Heavenly Father, and also all the people around me. And then we went out to work. Let me tell you, the moment we stepped out the door and started thinking about the people that we were going to go visit, all those bad thoughts and feelings went away. When President Hinckley's dad told him to forget himself and go to work, he was giving away advice of gold. You just can't help but be happy when you are doing missionary work. This is the Lord's work, and we get to share our happiness and His happiness to other people. We share our love and His love to other people. Life doesn't get much better than that.

As a missionary, we have lots of hard days. Things go wrong, it rains, it's hot, we get rejected. But if we can find that joy that comes from sharing the gospel, all those things go away. Even as members. If you're having a bad day, go out and work with the missionaries. Go out and serve someone. If you're doing the work of the Lord, serving his people, and following His example, you can't be sad. I promise you that.

I love you all! Have a fantastic week!

Love,
Sister Wilwand

No comments:

Post a Comment