Monday, January 13, 2014

I think I've adopted a little girl ;)

Dear Family and Friends,

Hi! Kumusta? This letter will probably be all over the place... Sorry!

First of all, yes, I have adopted this little girl. Just kidding. But she is seriously the cutest little girl I have ever met in my entire life. She belongs to one of the members in our ward, and she's awesome! We were invited to her birthday party last week (she just turned 1), and the whole time that we were there, she kept on walking over to me and playing with me. Of course, I couldn't hold her, so she would just walk over and grab my leg until I sat down and played with her. Then she would walk somewhere else, but everytime she saw me, she got the biggest smile on her face! And then this week, we went over to their house to see if the Brother could work with us, and she was there. Again, she got the hugest smile on her face when she saw me! Don't be surprised if I bring her home with me...

(McKelle's mom here - I asked her about holding children. I didn't realize that it was against the rules and I'm not sure if it applies in every mission, but in her mission, they are asked not to. Keeps the missionaries safe from any accusations I suppose. Sad that it has to be a rule, especially for someone who loves children as much as Sister Wilwand does, but she is super obedient!)

So anyway, this week was pretty good!! We had lots of less-actives come to church again this Sunday, including a few families that we have been working with forever!! It was so cool to see them there. We even had a couple of investigators come to church, so now we're just going to keep teaching them, and make sure that they are keeping their other commitments! 

We also have a zone goal to OYM (open your mouth) to at least 25 people a week. Whew. Let's just say that that is going to take quite a bit of work, but we are up to the challenge! I'm hoping that doing that will help me to develop my language skills quite a bit. So I'll let you know how that goes later!

The people here are awesome. A lady on the street stopped me the other day, wanting to know what my name was. I told her, then immediately her next question was, "Do you have a boyfriend?" Oh brother... It took me a good few minutes to finally convince that I did not in fact have a boyfriend, and that I was a missionary. My companion and I could not help but laugh at that.

We finally went running this week! My kabahays have agreed to go jogging every morning with me, so I'm way excited! We're starting out slow, and only running for a little while, but by the end of this transfer, we are all going to be nice and fit for sure! And I've also decided to be a vegetarian... Well maybe not, but we're definitely going to be eating lots more fruits and vegetables around our house now. Speaking of which, Mom (or anyone else), do you have any good recipes? I'm having trouble thinking of things to make for dinner. We have very simple ingredients here. Noodles, bread, meat, some vegetables. So if you can think of anything, that'd be great =]

I finally figured out how to have ice cream! Sort of... We just freeze chocolate milk... It doesn't taste exactly the same, and it's sort of icy instead of creamy, but we do what we can here. Also, thank you for the chocolate orange in my package! It definitely reminded me of home, and it was gone in just a couple of days =]

I got to see my district from the MTC this week! We had our last follow-up training, and it was awesome to see them! Sister Clark and I talked about the entire time, and one of the Elders remarked that we were definitely still companions. Maybe that's true, but it was good to see all of them. Now, the only time I'll see them is if they are in my district or zone. But that's ok! They are all going to be great missionaries!

Sister Wilwand and Sister Clark, together again. MTC companions, friends forever. 

Sister Wilwand and her MTC District 

Sister Wilwand and her MTC batch - together for one last training.

I think that's about it for this week! I know that this church is true, and I'm very grateful for the gospel in my life. I really don't know what I would do without it... I love you all! Have a fantastic week!!

Love,
Sister Wilwand

 Sunrise over Manila
The Manila Temple

No comments:

Post a Comment