Monday, January 20, 2014

Looks like I'm staying here for good!

Dear Family and Friends,

This week has been pretty good! We had some pretty good things happen this week. 

First, we had Zone Conferences this week. Basically, our whole zone got together with another zone, and we had a bunch of workshops with our zone leaders, APs and our mission president and his wife. It was awesome! Our zone performed a musical number, "Did You Think to Pray?", and it actually went pretty well! It was a little outbalanced with only four Sisters and about 20 Elders, but we sounded pretty good! We had a lot of really great talks, too. Our mission President, holy moly. It is amazing how much he knows about the scriptures and about the gospel. I'm sad that he's leaving in July, but I'm definitely going to try to learn as much as I can from him about the gospel. And Sister Sperry, his wife, is so great! She is definitely like the mom of our entire mission, and she's amazing! I will definitely miss them both when they leave.

So it looks like I might be staying here for good. Let me tell you a funny story. This week, we had MTC exchanges. The language training missionaries that are two weeks away from leaving come out into the field and we go on splits with them. Last time, I went with my trainer and just one Sister from the MTC. That's because there were only two Sisters from the MTC. This time, there were supposed to be 8. Only 7 came, but I still had to go out with an MTC Sister by myself. What?? Senior companion already? I was so nervous! But it actually turned out ok! My companion was Sister Sefeti from Fiji. She was super nice, and I was lucky to go out with her. Anyway, we had a lot of fun. At one point, we were OYMing this man. He's from Iglesia ni Cristo, and we were talking to him about the Bible a bit. Eventually, he asked me how much I liked the Philippines. Of course, I answered saying that I really liked the Philippines. So he grabbed my hand and said, waving his son over "Gusto nyo mag-asaw dito?" He basically asked if I wanted to get married to a Filipino. Gah! I was a little shocked, but he was laughing while he said it, so we knew he was joking. The son also seemed a bit weirded out, so I doubt the wedding would have worked out anyways.

So last week I said I was going to be a vegetarian. Ok, I was kidding. But I have eaten lots of vegetables this week! Be proud. I've decided that I'm an ok cook. By the time I come home, I'll probably be really creative with my food. But it's fun! I like cooking =]


On Friday this week, we threw a birthday party for one of my kabahays! it was way fun! Her birthday was actually just yesterday, the 19th, but we had to do it early because we didn't have much time to celebrate yesterday. Her favorite colors are pink and purple, so we decked our house out in decorations. Sister Collins and I came home and decorated before the other two got home, and we surprised her. We also got cake and pizza, and we had a little party. It was lots of fun!





Another story about little kids. We were in one of our areas on Friday, and Sister Collins was talking to a guy on the street. So she sat down on one side, and I was on the other side of him, and as soon as I sat down, about 20 kids or so just surrounded me. (We were across the street from a basketball court where they had all been playing.) It was cool though because I could understand pretty much all of what they said! And then they were telling me to ask them questions in English, that was so funny! They could understand a lot, but not all. It was super fun =] I love little kids!

Let's see. The work is still going well! We had a bit of a rough Sunday with church attendance this week, but we're going to work hard this week to bring everyone to church next Sunday! Hopefully our 25 person OYM goal will be achieved this week. We didn't quite make it last week, but we're hopeful for this week! It's scary going out there to just talk to random strangers, but I need the practice, so here we go! That language is going well! it was good to go out with the MTC Sister this week. I've realized how much I've grown from when I first came out of the MTC. Obviously, I still have a ton of work to do, but I've definitely improved a lot. I'm excited for what will come in the coming months.

I love you all! Keep up the missionary work! It's so worth it! I expect our Walla Walla ward at home to be huge when I get back!

Love,
Sister Wilwand

No comments:

Post a Comment