Monday, January 27, 2014

It Finally Happened!

Dear Family and Friends,

Yes. It finally happened. I ate balut this week (McKelle did not send any pictures this week. I though maybe I'd search the web for a picture of balut and post it here, but I'll just link the wiki article, just in case you don't want to be grossed out) Balut

I also ate chicken balls. So let's just say that this was an interesting week in terms of food. Neither of them actually tasted terribly bad, but when you know what you're eating, and you have to look at it while you're eating it, then it's disgusting. So that was fun :)

On the plus side, I'm learning how to make some tasty foods! I learned how to make mango float, lumpias and munchkins. Mango float is crushed mangoes with graham crackers and sweet and condensed milk/cream. You layer it all, and then freeze it. Yum. Lumpias are kind of like egg rolls. You mix hamburgers with some vegetables and seasoning, wrap it in a lumpia wrapper, and fry it. Delicious. Munchkins are a kind of no bake cookie. You crush graham crackers until they are crumbs and then mix sweet and condensed milk in it. Then you take a spoonful and wrap it around a chocolate or marshmallow. And then you freeze them. So good. Hopefully I'll learn some more before I get home, but let's have a Filipino Food Feast when I get home ok? Everyone's invited.

We had Sister Training Leader exchanges again this week. Let's just say that they were a lot better than last time! Last time, it was my first week out in the field, and boy was I nervous! But this time was a lot better. I was able to lead the harder part of my area, and they said that my Tagalog is getting a lot better. Yay! I definitely learned a lot from my companion, Sister Pacinio. She's awesome! She's from Bacolod. It was great.

Our work is progressing! We had a really great lesson with one of our investigators today. She lives with one of our less-active families, and she seems great! We're really hopeful that she will progress towards the baptismal date that we extended to her. Lots of our less-actives are still progressing! I love all of the families that we are teaching here, they are amazing!

Cool story for the week. Tyler Haws. Basketball player for BYU. Apparently he served his mission here, because I met one of his investigators the other day. She's part of one our families that we visit, and she's awesome. But she showed us pictures of her and Tyler Haws on her baptismal day! He's the one that baptized her. How cool is that??

What else... Our ward mission leader is great! At one of our meetings this week, he laid out his whole plan for our ward. It's only for the next few months, but it seems great. We are way excited for this work to progress in our ward. We're thinking that it's really going to start picking up here. I think our ward here will really start getting excited about missionary work. Yay!!!

Anyway, things are going good here!! For anyone who needs a good scripture to lift up their day, go read Alma 26:27 

Now, when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said: Go amongst thy brethren, the Lamanites and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success. 

and Alma 17:11 

And the Lord said unto them also: Go forth among the Lamanites, thy brethren, and establish my word; yet ye shall be patient in long-suffering and afflictions, that ye may show forth good examples unto them in me, and I will make an instrument of thee in my hands unto the salvation of many souls.

Such good scriptures! Lots of challenges and problems are coming in this life, but we just have to have faith that the Lord will support us in all that we do. He really does love us. I can testify to that. I love you all!!!

Love,
Sister Wilwand


No comments:

Post a Comment